At Capital Food Services, we value and celebrate the culinary richness brought by ingredients and products from Latin brands. We encourage experimentation with recipes that incorporate unique flavors and gastronomic experiences. This time, we are excited to present some recipes that highlight the creative use of canned black beans.
Why Eat Black Beans?
Appreciated in cooking for their taste, texture, nutritional value, and culinary versatility, black beans are a versatile and delicious ingredient that can enhance the flavor and nutritional quality of a wide variety of dishes.
In addition to being a delicious and versatile option in the kitchen, black beans offer numerous advantages and health benefits. These culinary gems are known to be an excellent source of plant-based proteins, making them an essential component of vegetarian and vegan diets.
They are an ideal choice for any type of diet, not just for vegetarians and vegans, as black beans are naturally low in fat and cholesterol-free. In addition to their protein content, these beans stand out for their abundant dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble. This fiber contributes to digestive health and plays a crucial role in regulating blood glucose levels.
Nutritionally, black beans offer a variety of B-complex vitamins, such as thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), and pyridoxine (B6). All of these vitamins are essential for nutrient metabolism, nervous system function, and energy production in the body.
The Culinary Versatility of Black Beans
The culinary versatility of black beans is one of their most notable attributes. These beans adapt to a wide range of preparations and culinary styles, making them popular in various cuisines around the world. Some common ways to use black beans in cooking include:
Regarding their flavor, black beans have a distinctive taste profile. They are mild and earthy, with a slight hint of sweetness. This unique flavor makes them compatible with a wide range of ingredients and culinary styles. Thanks to this versatility, black bean preparations can vary and are perfect for any seasonal recipe. That’s why today we will present you with easy recipes using canned Mexican black beans.
Extraordinary Black Bean Recipes
Recipe 1: Mexican Black Bean Chili with Whole La Costeña Black Beans
- 2 cans of canned Mexican black beans
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of canned corn
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- Grated cheese and fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and peppers. Sauté until tender.
- Add the black beans, crushed tomatoes, corn, vegetable broth, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, garnished with grated cheese and fresh cilantro. Accompany with tortillas or cooked rice.
Recipe 2: La Chula Black Bean Quesadillas
- 4 corn or wheat tortillas (your preferred size)
- 1 cup of refried black beans (prepared according to the previous recipe)
- 1 cup of grated cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or your choice)
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- Tomato sauce or hot sauce (optional)
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Place a tortilla on a flat surface and spread an even layer of refried black beans on half of the tortilla.
- Add a layer of grated cheese on top of the beans.
- Sprinkle chopped onion and fresh cilantro over the cheese.
- If you desire a spicy kick, you can add a bit of tomato sauce or hot sauce to your taste.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling, creating a sort of turnover.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a few drops of vegetable oil.
- Place the quesadilla in the hot skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and the cheese melts.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Once the quesadillas are ready, remove them from the skillet and cut them into triangles.
- Serve the hot refried black bean quesadillas, accompanied by additional sauce if desired.
Recipe 3: Ducal Refried Bean Enchiladas
- 1 can of refried beans (16 oz or approximately 450 g)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups of grated cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or your choice)
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 cup of enchilada sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- Vegetable oil for frying tortillas
- Sour cream, chopped lettuce, and diced tomato for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- While the oil is heating, warm the corn tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds to make them more pliable.
- Dip each tortilla into the hot oil for a few seconds to soften them. Then, place the tortillas on a plate with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- In a bowl, combine the refried beans with the chopped red onion. This will add a touch of freshness and flavor to the beans.
- On each tortilla, spread a portion of refried beans and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
- Roll up each filled tortilla and place them in a baking dish, seam side down.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the enchiladas.
- Bake the enchiladas in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Serve the hot refried bean enchiladas, and if desired, add sour cream, chopped lettuce, and diced tomato as toppings.
Reinvent Cooking with Capital Food Services
We hope these recipes have inspired you to experiment in the kitchen and incorporate black beans into your culinary repertoire. Their nutritional value, versatility, and distinctive flavor make them a valuable ingredient for creating delicious and healthy dishes.
You can always return to this blog for more inspiration and unique recipes. We encourage you to keep exploring, trying new combinations, and sharing your culinary creations with friends and family. Cooking is an endless world of possibilities, and black beans are just the beginning of your gastronomic journey.
If you wish to explore and order high-quality Latin products offered by Capital Food Services, please feel free to contact us. Contact us to meet your culinary needs and ensure you have access to a wide variety of Latin American products.